Winter Park residents can boost their hurricane preparedness at a sandbag distribution event, scheduled from 2-6 p.m. on Thursday, July 13, at Ward Park and Showalter Field parking lots.
A limit of eight bags will be available for each household or business within the city limits. Proof of residency (driver’s license, valid ID or utility statement) is required, and participants must be prepared to fill their own bags. Shovels, bags and sand will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. City staff will be available to help those in need of physical assistance.
The Ward Park lot entrance, at 288 Perth Lane, will serve as the event entrance. Drivers will proceed to the sandbag filling area, and exit through the Showalter Field parking exit, located on Cady Way. See the map, below, for the route.
The city is currently working to improve stormwater and wastewater drainage by installing new lift station pumps, and purchasing additional generators to power lift stations during electrical outages. A sewer pipe reinforcement project along Palmer Avenue was also recently completed.
Dredging contractors also completed a sediment removal project in Winter Park canals, and cleaned out runoff ditches by the Winter Park Pines Golf Club to improve stormwater drainage.
Residents are encouraged to take advantage of the city’s list of official information resources:
- citEnews email service – cityofwinterpark.org/citEnews
- Facebook – facebook.com/WinterParkEmergencyInfo
- Twitter – twitter.com/WinterParkFla
- Nextdoor – sign up at nextdoor.com
- City’s emergency alert system – sign up at cityofwinterpark.org/outreach.
Other resources include:
- Non-emergency information line 407-599-3494 (live during Emergency Operation Center activation)
- Report electric utility power outages to 1-877-811-8700
- Report water & wastewater utilities outages to 407-599-3219